Tuesday 29 November 2011

Crabilicious @ Omah's

Omah's
338-342 Burwood Road
Hawthorn, VIC
www.omahs.com

I have been thinking about giving Omah's another visit for a while, but my dear fellow diner, Miss P, has been putting Omah's aside and giving me a lot of reasons not to go.  One of her solid reason was that few months back, just before I started blogging, we visited Omah's for the renowned Chili crab (which I fell in love with it).  While Miss P, whom doesn't like getting her hands and fingers dirty, enjoyed the flavour but wasn't that keen on cracking the shell of the crab open for the juicy crab meat. What a princess, I must say! - LOL. 


Finally, after series of push back, I managed to win over the restaurant choice and got to have crab again...but it had to be cooked differently this time.  I agreed to Miss P's reasoning and we marched our way to Omah's. 

The set up of the restaurant gives out a warm and welcoming feeling.  I love the bird cage lighting décor! Very unique indeed! The staff were friendly and helpful, plus they weren't too attentive to the point that could annoy you. 

We had a bit of a photo session drama during our visit, so the photos were taken by the X100 - before the battery ran out - and my iPhone.  All the blame to Miss P whom stopped me from bringing my DSLR! 


We started off with Crispy Fried Kangkong - it was on a special menu and we didn't see it during our last visit. Plus the usual entrée menu didn't really tempt us enough to order them again...as we already tried some of them last time.  So this special menu worked out perfectly!  I asked them to bring it out as an entrée for us, which they kindly accommodated.  The Kangkong came with a dipping sauce, which was a mixed of coconut milk and some other ingredient, and I did not know what it was!  The Kangkong was blanched then tied together in a knot then coated with flour then deep fried.  The taste was refreshing and went well with the dipping sauce.  Though it was a deep fried dish, it didn't leave a greasy feeling at all. 


After we finished our entrée, a while after the long-awaited Salted Egg Crab shown up.  The crab was coated then fried and stirred through with salted egg yolks, salt, pepper, few herbs and other ingredients.  Miss P and I did some inspection and both of us agreed that the coating and crab looked really tasty.  Once we laid our hands on the crab, we could not stop!  Miss P, whom did not like getting her hands dirty was cracking the shell open and enjoying the sweet and juicy mud crab meat!  I swore if the shell of the crab was edible, Miss P and I could have eaten the shell with the coating! Somehow we wished there were more salted egg mixture so we didn't have to fight for it.  Both of us loved this dish, but the Chili crab is still number one for us!


Our next dish, Buttered Prawns, came out when we were about to finish our crab.  The waiter actually recommended this dish since we both couldn't decide which prawns dish that we should get.  We were told that this dish is a Malaysian styled Buttered Prawns and we would enjoyed it...so we said, "bring it on!"

The prawns were fried and coated with butter mixture, which gave out a subtle taste.  The presentation of this dish actually caught my eyes, especially with the yellow fluffy thing on top of the prawns, which soon after I learnt and tasted that it was egg fluff! Very intriguing!  I could not find any fault to this dish since the prawns were so fresh and gave out the sweetness and weren't overcooked. 



After Miss P and I finished our savouring crab and prawns session, we both turned to the dessert menu.  Since it was rather warm night and we were quite full, we ordered Ice Kachang to share.  It came in a different presentation that both of us usually see.  The condiments that came with the Ice Kachang were Ice cream, creamed corn, red beans, lychee, agar jelly and palm seeds.  Overall taste, it was pretty good and refreshing.  It was a good light dessert for the warm night.

+Disclaimer: The commentary contained in this blog is purely based on my own opinion and experience at the time of visit. Taste is a subjective and yours and mine can be differed.

Omah's on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

penny aka jeroxie said...

The ice kachang looks amazing!

Pinkswoon said...

Taste was good too...without the cream corn..:)

msihua said...

Really?? We much prefer the salted egg! We had 10 of it the last time and it was sooooo good! I also prefer the Port Melbourne store :)

Pinkswoon said...

10 crabs, that's awesome! I think next time I should try the Port Melb one and compare the two.

I think I love the sauce in chili crab and that sway my decision towards the chili crab. Both of them were great so it was so hard to pick the fav!

Snap-story.com said...

Omg for the salted crab! drolllll

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...