Thursday 17 November 2011

Chin Chin, gimme gimme more, gimme more!

Chin Chin
125 Flinders Lane
Melbourne VIC

Finally, the day has come...I managed to set foot in Chin Chin after the long battle within me (and sometimes my diner mates) about queuing up for hours when we were awfully hungry!  Since I didn't have much luck on getting a seat during dinner service, I changed my strategy to 'lunch out' at Chin Chin on weekend instead.


After fixing the date to catch up with Miss Y, whom I last met around a year ago, and sussing out that she hasn't paid a visit to Chin Chin, I had my 'lunch out' plan ready in place.  We were there around lunch time on the weekend, and to my surprise, we got a table.  They were crowded but still have few tables avail. 

Miss Y and I chattering away for a bit and ordered some drinks along the way, then with our hungry stomachs calling, we decided to start the ordering.  There were so many choices to pick from the menu and a lot of them sound delicious and we were so tempted by them.  But since there were only two of us, we limited the choices down.


Started off with the Pork Roll-Ups as an entrée.  Some actions required to assemble this dish.  Well, it was a Pork Roll-Ups, so we needed to roll it up.  It was a fun thing to do and reminded me of when I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and tried to put together a spring roll.  Apart from a little fun time,  on the taste scale, it was delicious.  I didn't add dip a lot of sauce to it since I didn't want the sauce to overpower the dish.  the combination was great, the salad gave out the freshness while the tender pork gave away the sweetness.



We then get out sticky fingers onto the Son In-Law Eggs - my favourite childhood dish. The eggs were gooey and the yolks were golden! oooh....very enticing!  They added the Thai basil onto the dish, which gave me a little surprise....but well, I always love to try new things, so I gave it a go without any judgement....and you know what...the combination was pretty good.  I prefer the Son In-Law Eggs here more than the ones at Gingerboy.  I love the gooey and runny yolks, abundance of sauce and heaps load of fried shallots.  Oh so yummy!

Salt & Pepper Crusted Soft Shell Crab was also our pick.  Miss Y and myself love soft shell crab and Som Tum, so we easily agree on the menu choice :)  The crab was crunchy on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside..nicely cook indeed.  The Som Tum on the side was a bit of a let down as the flavour wasn't quite right.


Our last dish was the Wild Barramundi & Green Apple Salad served with caramelised pork.  A strange but tasty duo I must say. The barramundi was sweet and juicy and the apple salad with the herbs gave a crisp and clean finishing touch to it.  Adding the caramelised pork to it actually created a new dimension to it...sweet and sour dynamite!

In the end, we didn't get a chance to try the dessert at Chin Chin since our dear tummies didn't have any rooms left.  Even without dessert, Chin Chin still gave us the pleasure and satisfaction!



+Disclaimer: The commentary contained in this blog is purely based on my own opinion and experience at the time of visit. Taste is a subjective and yours and mine can be differed.

Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

msihua said...

Yum! you ordered completely different dishes to me which is lovely to see! I love ogling at other peoples food as it gets serve so this is wonderful!

Pinkswoon said...

Hehehe, same here...sometimes looking at other's photos nearly made me drool!

Anonymous said...

Son's in law eggs are my fav! looking forward to go back soon :)

Pinkswoon said...

Totally agree! I love the gooey eggs and loads of sauce- yummo!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...