Monday 15 August 2011

Quick Bite @ Nhu Lan

Nhu Lan
152 Victoria Street
Richmond, VIC  

Seeing the Vietnamese bread rolls made me think of the old times at Uni.  I was introduced to the Vietnamese bread roll during my first year at UNSW by one of my friends.  Since then, it became the favourite grab and go food for me.  The size and portion were just right, easy to carry when I needed to run around the campus for the next calls.  Also, it didn't create a much of a mess while eating them since everything was stuffed into the bread roll and put in a small paper bag. 

Since my uni days were over, I barely get a chance to eat the Vietnamese roll.  Until I moved to Melbourne, I got my hands on the Vietnamese roll once again.  Trial and tested the rolls from many shops on Victoria Street in Richmond, I found my favourite shop that do the yummiest rolls to my taste.

Nhu Lan is a bakery shop that also sell Vietnamese rolls.  The shop is situated in the heart of the Vietnamese strip in the middle of Victoria Street.  The shop is clean and has good lighting, the staff were friendly and never rush the customers.  They offered around nine different type of rolls, including vegetarian roll (tofu) and each roll cost around $3.80.

The moment I walked in, the smell of freshly baked bread streaming out along with the BBQ meat that they had for the fillings. It got me hungry even more than a minute ago!  I ended up ordering three rolls to share with Miss P..I know, three rolls for two people, we were ones of those nutcases who love food.


The rolls that I ordered were BBQ pork roll ($3.80), BBQ chicken roll ($3.80) and Ham roll ($3.80).  Each rolls were filled with hot chilli...like a mine trap, you wouldn't know where the chillies were until you bit into it.  The rolls were soft and freshly made, unique in taste and the fillings.  The vegetables here were marinated in vinegar, gave out different but yummy taste.  Both BBQ rolls were dressed with Hoisin sauce, but the BBQ chicken roll had extra fried shallots, which gave more aroma to the roll compared to the BBQ pork roll.  The ham roll was delicious as well, there were many type of hams and the roll went well with the paste they put inside.







+Disclaimer: The commentary contained in this blog is purely based on my own opinion and experience at the time of visit. Taste is a subjective and yours and mine can be differed.

Nhu Lan on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Yasmeen said...

Hi! You know, I have passed this place a million times and never been in. Now that I know I can get a great roll (and the price, amazing!!!) I'll have to try it out :)

Pinkswoon said...

After trying couple of places along Vic street, I found this one do the best roll :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...