Wednesday 31 August 2011

Oh my Gelati @ Il Dolce Freddo

Il Dolce Freddo
116 Lygon Street
Carlton, VIC 

My friends often say that I am one of those crazy people who love to eat ice-cream especially in winter.  I love eating ice-cream to begin with, but I found myself enjoy it even more during winter.  May be it is because the icy and chilly effects that I got after eating it made me feel the gist of winter cold even more.  My favourite excuse that I often use is that ice-cream melts slower in winter compared to summer, and I can spend as much time to enjoy the texture and flavour of it, rather than gobbling it down before it changes shape and becomes runny.

I remember that many years ago when I came to Melbourne, my friends took me to a yummy gelati place in Carlton, I really had a great time.  Unfortunately, I did not remember the name or the exact location of it, only known that it is somewhere in Carlton, on Lygon street and not that far from Melbourne Uni.  Until recently, my friend Mr T asked me whether I have been to the gelati place in Carlton - Il Dolce Freddo.  Upon finding the answer that I did not, he suggested that I should go and try out the gelati, especially Durian flavour, it would worth a visit. 


So Teddy and I went for a gelati hunt on Lygon street.  Once we reached the shop, the flashback of memory I had at Il Dolce Freddo many years ago surged into my head.  I knew it straight away that this is the place I have been looking for.  The colourful shops nearby also served as a hint and remind me of this place.  I had a big smile on my face as I walked through the door and saw those gelati in the fridge.  What a pleasant feeling! 






I slowly explored the flavour that they have on the offering, and one moment of thought occur to me that I wanted to try them all!  Too bad that my body wouldn't comply with my head and gluttonous tastebuds, I could only pick two flovour that I wanted to try most and Teddy would pick two.   


My odd combination pick were Durian and Roche and Teddy's pick were Dolce and Baileys.  Durian tasted just like durian, we were surprised on how they managed to infuse durian flavour and aroma into the gelati so well.   Since I am quite accustomed to the taste and the smell of durian, thanks to my background growing up in Thailand, I do not find durian gelati overbearing.  The Roche was yummy, I felt as if I was eating fererro rocher, especially when I tasted through the wafer, hazelnut bits and chocolate...oh what a feeling!


Teddy told me that the Dolce was a bit too sweet with the nougat and hazelnut, unfortunately, there was no nougat bits in this gelati, but that did not made the gelati less tasty even one bit.  The flavour of Bailey was so divine, it had a hint of alcohol, very enjoyable indeed, just a wee bit sweet when eating with the Dolce.

My gelati hunt has been completed and I can now tick the box next to Il Dolce Freddo...finally, I managed to find the gelati place that I have been looking and longing for.


+Disclaimer: The commentary contained in this blog is purely based on my own opinion and experience at the time of visit. Taste is a subjective and yours and mine can be differed.

Il Dolce Freddo on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

msihua said...

Yup, that's the place for durian, pandan coconut, lychee ice cream! There used to be one in len that had a richer durian flavoured ice cream, but no more!! *sniff*

Pinkswoon said...

awesome! next time i shall try more of a tropical combination rather than an opposite attracts like i did last time!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...