Friday 11 November 2011

Délicieux dîner @ Le Bangkok

Le Bangkok
195 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC


I've heard about Le Bangkok from Thai magazines and Tommy the chef for a while, but it's never occur to me to go and try until today.  Tommy the chef came for a visit and yes, it was a time to hang out and celebrate.  Tommy actually suggested that we should do dinner at Le Bangkok, after he heard that neither Miss P nor myself had ever been there.  

So our journey began...


We started off with Thai milk tea.  Thai ice tea here tasted wonderful and the colour was right too! It had a right mixture of tea and milk, so I could actually get to enjoy the taste & aroma of Thai tea that I've been longing for.

 Then it was time for Thai snack - Miang Kham.  Tommy the chef actually recommended this snack and told Miss P and I that it was yum.  So we gave it a go, and we gladly thanks Tommy for the recommendation.  I haven't had Miang Kham for ages...so this actually brought a nostalgic moment back to me since my mum usually made them back home for our snack.  To eat it, first, start of with Miang (betel leaf) and add all of the ingredients - chilli, small wedge of lime (here they used lemon), roasted peanut (here they used roasted cashew), small dried shrimp, fresh shallot and roasted coconut, on to the Miang and topped with palm sugar syrup mixture.  Then wrap it inside the Miang and place right into the mouth!  The trick to get the full taste of Miang Kham is to eat it all in one go, so the flavour and aroma of those ingredients will be exploded.  Do not try to bite or eat it bit by bit, you won't get to enjoy what Miang Kham has to offer! 
 


One thing I found out is that at Le Bangkok, they also served Khao Soi, - Thai curry noodle soup.  I was surprised to find Khao Soi here in Melbourne since it is a traditional Northen Thai cuisine.  Even in Thailand, not every restaurants or shop would serve this.  It was my first time to try this dish...might sound silly since I'm Thai, but come on, I didn't live in the North, so I wasn't exposed to this dish before.  Since I wouldn't be able to say whether this dish was good or not, I had to resort to Tommy and Miss P.  Based on their decision, the curry had good texture and tasty but was a tiny bit sweet and a bit mild.


Moo Manao - Thai spicy pork with lime was soon served and our Sticky rice also arrived a moment after.  Moo Manao was tangy and spicy...though I had to combat with the hot & spicy effects from the chilli, but I just couldn't stop eating them 'cause it was so delicious!  I dare say I wouldn't mind if I burnt my tongue on this one!


We also order Sai Oua - Northern Thai Sausage as per Miss P's request.  The sausage was quite dry so Miss P wasn't that pleased with the outcome.
 

 Tommy the chef also recommended Yum Pak Boong Grob - Deep fried Kang Kung salad with spicy sauce.  Miss P and I had similar dish at I Spicy-2 before,  but oh boy, the sauce here was yummier!  The spicy sauce tasted like Tom Yum soup, but in a more concentrated form and the tangy flavour really stood out. 





 


















  




We finished off with Thai strawberry milk flavoured and Thai milk tea flavoured cakes.  These are very unique taste indeed and only specially made and served at Le Bangkok only.  Thanks to Tommy that insisted Miss P and I to try these delightful cakes.  They were very soft and infused with Thai tea and Thai strawberry milk - loads of credit is to be given to the pâtissier whom created these two lovely cakes.

Le Bangkok is like a hidden gem in the city indeed!

+Disclaimer: The commentary contained in this blog is purely based on my own opinion and experience at the time of visit. Taste is a subjective and yours and mine can be differed.

Le Bangkok on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...